Growing & Cooking With The Herb…Dill
July 30, 2008 · Print This Article
Dill is an herb that flourishes well in an herb garden and is a delightful herb to use in your cooking. Growing dill is easy and it does well in the full sun or part shade. Dill can be be planted by seed or plant starts. Sometimes it’s called dill weed because it comes back in the herb garden if the seeds from the previous year have fallen to the ground. It can over take an herb garden area so, you can control it by plucking out the new plants you don’t want to grow to maturity.
The dill herb reaches from 24 to 36 inches tall. However, there are dill dwarf varieties that are nice for container gardens. As the dill weed reaches full maturity, the plant may have to be staked because they have a tendency to bend over.
Harvesting the dill weed tops just before the flower opens gives you the best flavor. However, you can let the flowers go to seed for the next years planting. Also, the dill seeds from the head can be harvested and used later in your cooking.
Down on the stem of the dill plant, are airy fern like leaves. These can be harvested chopped and used in dill sauce, or a dill dip. The leaves can be cut and dried for future use. The entire dill weed head, stem and leaves are used in bottling homemade dill pickles.
An accent of the dill head and stem are lovely mixed in with a cut flower bouquet.
For me… the growing season for my herb garden is not long enough for me to experiment with all the possibilities. I am planning an indoor herb container garden for this winter. However, a 36 inch dill weed plant will not be part of my indoor herb garden selection. Too bad… for I dearly love a touch of dill.
P.S. For cooking with dill weed, check out my fantastic Fresh Dill Dip.
- Cooking With Herbs – Dill Dip Cooking with herbs adds a wonderful subtle flavor to foods....
- Container Herb Garden Update Today, when I watered my container herb garden, I thought…...
- Planting A Container Herb Garden Planting a container herb garden is simple and fun. Having...
- Container Gardening: Growing Tomatoes Growing tomatoes in a container is a great way to...
- Unique Garden Decor: A Gazing Ball A gazing ball can be part of your unique garden...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.